As we had dinner last night, she seemed to be a little upset again. She looked so lonely, lost in her thoughts. My queries were met with a sad smile. She said nothing. She didn't want to. Sensing her discomfort, I quickly steered to other topics. I asked her idea of a dream job.

"I want a job that is only between 9-5. No extra work, I want to come home and enjoy the household work."

"A 9-5 job. No extra work. Nice to hear. But is it practical? What about your career?"

"I guess that a job like that would also mean that I cannot be a career woman."

"No, you can be one if you learn to balance your professional and personal lives."

"I want me to give my best to both lives."

"Certainly, but there may be times when you might have to forgo any one."

"What does that mean?"

"The boundaries of personal and professional lives are not rigid. They may overlap at times. It depends on how you face those times."

"Now you've got me totally confused."

"The least I can do." "Don't worry, you'll manage."

"You think I can."

"No, I believe you can."

"You are just kidding. I can't manage."

"No, I'm sure."

"How sure?"

"Can't say."

"But you are sure?"

"Yes."

"Are you free tomorrow night?"

"Don't know."

"Ok, I'll call or come home."

"Ok."

"Shall we go?"

"Yes."


We spoke about Christmas, my plans, and her plans on our way back home.
She was good as she was fair,
None—none on earth above her!
As pure in thought as angels are:
To know her was to love her

Comments

Popular posts from this blog